Friday, April 11, 2014

Working on the Headboard and a New Desk

This headboard is going to take forever!  It already is and I'm so sad because I was hoping to have it done awhile ago.  Anyway, we're going to try and get the legs stained, sealed and attached to the backboard tomorrow.  Fingers crossed we can finish that part!

I spent yesterday sealing the backboard so that it won't warp over time.  It was so warm and sunny outside and the kids got to play out back.  They ended the day filthy and exhausted, which is the best.

We also went to a pre-open house of the new Museum of Natural Curiosity at Thanksgiving Point yesterday.  I didn't get any pictures but that was because we were so busy exploring, playing and having a blast!  Seriously, we were there for an hour (it was only from 7-8) and we were only able to see two of the five exhibits, but even still, we didn't see everything in those two exhibits.  There was so much to do and the kids loved it!  That place alone will make an annual pass to Thanksgiving Point totally worth it.  We could go once or twice every month, we'd all love it and have fun, and it would pay for itself after just a few months.  They didn't pay me to say this!  It's totally my own opinion (and my husband agrees, so that's two people saying this).

Also, yesterday I worked on making my new computer desk pretty.  I wanted something that was simple and inexpensive, so I bought this desk from Ikea.  I like the look of it and $20 is a great deal.

I wanted to paint the legs gold and I saw this tutorial and I liked how the legs were kept attached to the table so they didn't roll around.

I opened up a large trash bag and cut it along one of the long sides and the bottom so that it opened up wider and put that down on the grass.  It was slightly damp and our lawn was aerated a couple weeks ago and I didn't want the dirt clumps to get the top all dirty.  Then I took two more bags and opened them up so they were flat, no cutting this time.  I unscrewed the legs, put the garbage bag over the hole and screwed the legs back onto the table on top of the bags.  Then I taped the two bags together in the middle so the wind wouldn't blow them over and I tucked the bags under the table all the around, pulling it tight so that I could get paint down to the base of the legs.

The spray paint I used was this one and I really love how it turned out.  I ended up needing two coats and the legs were totally covered and looked great.

Here's the finished product.

I also bought this chair.  My husband found it in the As-Is section at Ikea and we got it for $35 instead of $60.  It was used as a floor model and there was nothing wrong with it.  The As-Is section is the best and also very dangerous.

Well, hopefully the headboard will be totally finished in the next week or two.  I hear the tufting part is brutal, so we'll see how quickly I can get through it.  I have this picture in my head of how it's going to look and I just hope I can get it to come out the same way.  And I hope you all will like it too!  Happy weekend!!